Friday, December 14, 2018

Starting a Diet Around the Holidays

The beginning of November held a realization for me: I did not have to wait one more second to start being healthier. Around the holidays, many people psych themselves up to start being the "better them" for New Year's- we've all made our resolutions but how many people really follow through with them past the first three months of the year? I certainly hadn't before, and I didn't want to keep telling myself "Tomorrow" "Monday" "After the weekend"- I made the decision to have a healthier lifestyle on a Wednesday afternoon.

If you're still with me, the suspense is now over: I began the Keto diet. 

Now, first of all, I hate the word diet because in my mind it is synonymous with the mindset that you do something for a certain amount of time, get the results, and then go back to what you were doing before. This will not be my story. 

Second of all, I did tons of research: 2FitDocs on YouTube, Magic Pill from Netflix, tons of articles and tips. I'm sure you all know what the basis of Keto is, you cut carbs so that your body will stop using those for energy and will instead use the excess fat in your body by releasing ketones into your blood therefore having your body be in an extended state of ketosis. You also want to eat more high protein and high fat meals (yes, bacon is allowed but it's not like I'm eating that with every meal). As the Magic Pill explains, fat somehow got a bad rap, "fat makes you fat", but in reality, good fats in food are good for you! Guess what makes you fat? Sugar! Guess what your body turns carbs into? Sugar! 

After all my research, I'm doing Keto for six months, trying to eat between 25-35 grams of carbs per day, and then I will re-introduce some grains and legumes in moderation back into my diet. After two solid weeks I began to see success in my body. Not only am I losing weight and inches, but I have not had a blood sugar crash since I've been doing it. The high protein, vegetables, and fat consumption leaves you feeling full and more energized throughout the day and in between meals.This has been awesome and this has helped me to stay super motivated to continue this lifestyle!

I don't have cheat days, but I have had to get creative with recipes and this girl has been an awesome source of motivation and meal ideas as she herself has been doing Keto for quite a while. She even has some desserts (I've made Keto brownies and keto ice cream and they've both turned out super yummy!) and cocktails.

Something interesting that I have yet to research more is that a lot of carbs you see on the nutritional label are derived from sugars, for example Egg-Nog you buy at the store has a total 27 G of carbohydrates, but 20 G of that is sugars. I'm wondering if the weight loss and feeling more energized (and my skin is super clear) has more to do with less sugar in my diet than a lack of carbs. I'll be able to take better notes of that when I try grains and legumes again in May when my six months is over. 

In addition to keto, I am working out at least five days a week. I'm intermittently doing high intensity work outs and strengthening yoga, all of which has been amazing. For me there was a three day hump where, after working out for three days in a row I was sore, tired and unmotivated but I soldiered on through days four and five. I found a groove and I've been loving getting stronger! Post-partum left a lot of muscles to be strengthened and I feel so much better in my lower back and my posture has immensely improved! It is hard to be consistent, especially when every day looks a little bit different with my sweet babe, but its worth it to feel confident and strong. In the end a healthier me is a healthier and happier wife and mother. I'm loving this new lifestyle, who says you can't start your New Year's Resolution two months early?! 

Thanks for reading! I'd love to answer any questions or receive tips or fun Keto-friendly recipes! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to hearing your experience of carbs VS added sugars. I have often thought that it's the refined foods more than anything else that cause sugar crashes and weight gain, but don't really have concrete evidence in that. I do feel sugar rushes personally so try to avoid sugar (I've actually done Advent without sugar this year and it's been great - and actually made the season MORE enjoyable not less, since I don't have to worry about not eating too many cookies!) - but otherwise I honestly don't feel any difference in what I eat, despite trying a variety of different things for various health or digestive issues.

    ReplyDelete

Two Mothers

 Below is a piece written by a guest about motherhood and the differences it can take in women embodied or not with love for her child. As a...